Monday, March 03, 2008

Third STATE Match


This one was the toughest one on me, The Mom. The pain on Scott's face, his determination and stick-to-it-ive-ness, all his hard work, his prayers and hopes, and to have to face Grapevine's JERK of a coach! Floods of memories came back to the time when Matt was wrestling for Regionals and his opponent had hurt his knee or ankle in the weekend's competition. Many in the stands and on the floor were calling for Matt to go for the injured leg. It would have been a sure win and a trip to State. (I wondered, too, why he didn't do it.) I learned one of the most priceless, unforgettable qualities of Matt that day. He told me that the kid was really the better wrestler and that he was the one that should represent our Region at State. Also, that if he was going to beat him, he wanted it to be a true win, and not a cheap shot. Wow.
Well, I only wish that the Grapevine coach had such integrity and sportsmanship qualities. And, I TRULY wish that I had my video camera on him when he told his wrestler to go for Scott's knee. Yes, it was heard and not just by one person. In fact, the kid even apologized to Scott afterward for having to listen to and follow his coach.
This is the kid that Scott beat at Regionals to take the 3rd Place Medal to State. He held Scott down on his back for over a minute in the third period and a half and NEVER pinned him! What heart our young man has! What a chicken, cheap win for Grapevine.

No comments: